The Ellsworth Community College Panther Wrestling team has a lot of expectations to live up to. Ellsworth came out #1 in the NJCAA rankings on Nov. 6, and the team delivered against #4 Iowa Central last night, winning 23-18 in front of a packed house.
"The crowd and the atmosphere were amazing," says ECC Head Wrestling Coach Cole Spree. "Our gymnasium was almost at capacity and it was great!"
Results for the night included:
- 125- Jeremiah Colon (IC) won by dec. Carter Cox (ECC) 10-4
- 133- Justin Folley (ECC) won by fall Raymond Correa (IC) 2:58
- 141- Eric Clarke (IC) won by dec. Keegan Powers (ECC) 6-0
- 149- Riley Palmer (IC) won by dec. Zach Garza (ECC) 6-3
- 157- Steven Lawrence (ECC) won by TF Greg Schmalz (IC) 16-1
- 165- Matthew Young (ECC) won by Forfeit
- 174- Antrez Clagon (IC) won by maj. dec. Khanden Howse (ECC) 20-8
- 184- Jonah Egli (IC) won by dec. Anthony Collins (ECC) 7-3
- 197- Timothy Young (ECC) won by fall Eddie Smith (IC) 5:38
- 285- Tyree Sutton (IC) won by dec. Patrick DePiazza (ECC) 7-2
"As a coach you always talk about the importance of bonus points," said Coach Spree. "Tonight we had three of our sophomore leaders step up and take advantage of bonus points and it ended up being the difference in the dual meet. Overall we need to get better and the guys realize that. My message to them after the dual was to continue to be humble and believe in the process. For six of the guys in our line up this was their first collegiate match ever."
The Panthers will be on the road for their next meet, traveling to Des Moines on Saturday, Nov. 11, to compete in the Grand View University Open.
Photo Caption: ECC's Steven Lawrence who his match at 157.